Friday, September 19, 2008

Road Tested

I've been waiting for the kids to start school so I can complete a few "to-do's" that would be easier to complete sans children.  One of the "to-do's" at the top of my list was to get my California driver's license.  Of course this meant a trip to the DMV, taking a test over the driving laws in California, and having the dreaded driver's license picture taken.  Needless to say, I did not jump at the chance to visit the DMV on the first day of school.  The second day of school brought eight wonderful members of my family in town to visit for a week.  After another week passed, I decided to bite the bullet and check this "to-do" off my list.  I drive to the DMV, explain to the attendant that I recently moved from TX and need to obtain a CA license (then listen to her snicker. . .talk about how most people move the other direction. . .blah, blah, blah), and grab the driver's license application out of her hand.  Whew!  As I complete the application, it asks for my TX DL number.  I have to admit I have never memorized this number.  There are way too many things floating around in my brain, so I dedicated that little space of memory for something more worthy than a DL number.  I reach in my purse, pull out my TX DL, write down the number and expiration date. . .WAIT!  My TX DL expired on September 1st!  My TX DL is EXPIRED!  I am totally driving around town (and have been for almost two weeks now) with a completely invalid license.  Oops!  No pressure now, huh?  The only thing I could think of now was that I HAD to pass the test today, or else I would continue to drive illegally (but extremely carefully) until I could take the test again.  When it was all said and done, I passed the California test and received a temporary license.   Hopefully next time I'll pay more attention to the expiration date.  I have until 2013. 

6 comments:

Memi and Grandaddy said...

Glad to see that you are "street legal" again! Must run in the family. I think Nerissa drove around for six months with an expired inspection sticker and license on her car. And . . .
you need to ask Mom about her speeding ticket -- in a school zone no less! Now she has to do the drivers training thing -- at the Improv, so I won't be the only one laughing.

Dad

The Craftypigs said...

Now you're official. No TX DL, no TX house. You are a Californian. Fun! I don't know how to type the sound of the "pull it out of your butt" move but boy did you ever. .....Pop!

Kim and JD said...

I know I am supposed to be happy for you.... so YEHAW , way to go !!
:( But I am glad you are legal.

Memi and Grandaddy said...

NO, NO, NO Miss Celeste. She may not have a TX DL or a TX house BUT she has TEXAS running thru her veins. And TEXAS in her heart. So I guess she can be a Californian Texan or a Texas Californian.

Love you anyway!

Carol

grinerswife said...

Andi,
I just found out you moved to CA. Email me. grinerswife@gmail.com
Jennifer Lawson Griner

Jenn B said...

Hooray! :-)