Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Call Me Crazy

In June I am going to hike Half Dome in Yosemite National Park with a group of friends from church.  Yeah, you heard me right.  Little ol' prissy Andi is going to HIKE.  Funny, I know.  But I am up for the challenge, there are 8 months to train, and at least two of the friends going have accomplished this very hike at least once.

This is Half Dome
According to the Internet, the large granite dome known as Half Dome is possible one of Yosemite's most familiar sights.  The granite crest rises more than 4,737 feet above the valley floor.  Thousands of hikers reach the top of the dome each year by following a trail that is just over 8 miles long.  The final 400 foot steep ascent is completed by using steel cables as handholds.  The cables are fixed with bolts into the granite and raised onto a series of metal poles.  Take a look at the cable route:


The people look like ants, don't they?!?

Are you calling me crazy yet?  It's okay.  I think I am crazy, too.  Keep checking back for updates on the training and stuff.  It will definitely be an adventure!

2 comments:

Kim and JD said...

I have to say I am impressed. Although you definitely are our prissy Andi, you are also not one to back down from a challenge of trying something new and exciting. So, no I am not surprised at all, thats very cool. I will be watching for updates, have fun!

Memi and Grandaddy said...

No, I don't think you are crazy. You said when you moved to California you wanted to see and experience new things. Of course, I didn't think that would include climbing a mountain.

I told you about my dream, so when you reach the top I know you will remember the brilliant light. When you look out over God's creation, you will experience a wonderful 'mountain top experience'.

And don't forget to take your camera!

Love ya,

Mom