Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Brand New Day


Today was the first day of school for my kiddos.  Whew!  As you know, I have prayed and prayed and prayed about my kid's education, their teachers, their peers, what they are taught, etc.  We were blessed to have the most amazing experiences in Rockwall, so the thought of moving and putting the kids into a new school/school district was a cause for much more prayer (and a little worry, if I'm being honest here).  

Calleigh started her day bounding out of bed full of excitement.  She was so ready to start kindergarten.  She carried her new side backpack (she HAD to have one just like her brother's) and her new lunchbox (which looks a lot like a purse) into class.  She walked in and sat right down.  No tears.  No anxiety.  No worries.  She is a confident little girl.

Carson walked hand-in-hand with Michael to his class.  He was a little timid and shy, but was okay when it was time for us to leave him in class.  Going to a new school and having to meet new kids is overwhelming.  Not to mention aesthetic differences play a factor.  Gone is the huge building with all the hallways opening up to classrooms.  Now we have little buildings all around with the door to each classroom outside (think of Grease, Beverly Hills 90210) and they have picnic tables outside their class for snack time outside (that's cool!).
My prayer today was that my kids would have a positive experience with their first day at Big Springs Elementary and that they would meet one friend.  God not only answered that prayer, he provided over and above!  Both kids came out happy and talked about the TWO friends they each met!  Carson even said it was a better day than he expected.  Calleigh even said she didn't even miss me  :-)

I am very proud of my kids.  They stepped out of their comfort zone and walked into a world unknown.  They had fun and met two friends.  In my eyes, they are brave!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the first day was everything you wanted it to be.

I'm glad they're comfortable and feel at home with their new home.

None of it comes easy, though. It's obvious you worked very hard to have it all "just happen".

Great job! Your kiddos are just so fortunate that you're looking out for their best interests.

Love,
Ma and Pa

Jennifer and Michael said...

I am so proud of them and you. You and Michael have done a great job with the kids and it shows on days like today. Letting go is never easy but it so worth it when you see God answer prayer.
Love you guys!

Kim and JD said...

Celeste showed me the school when we were there and it is quite different than what they are used to. I am so glad that they had a great day and met new friends. Carson sounded excited when Tyler asked him about his day. I think sometimes it is harder on the us as parents, not wanting the change for them and not wanting them to have to make new friends or to feel isolated. But, kids are so resilient and they tend to be able to thrive in every environment. We love you all and hope you have a wonderful weekend with Memi, Grandaddy and all the other family. Will talk to you soon :)

Moore Memories said...

My heart is so happy for EVERYONE! I hope you told their teachers how smart your children are! :-)