Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Free Movie Tuesdays

Wonderful news!  The movie theater down the street shows two kid movies every Tuesday morning for free!  Yes, some things in life are still free. . .but there are some things you must know in order to really make this a free event.  And I've learned a few of those things just from my two attempts to see a free movie with the kids.

Week 1 Movie The Water Horse or Elmo in Grouchland - Celeste and I had a brilliant plan to walk with the kids to the movie.  It is only 2 miles from our houses, the weather is great, and it is excellent exercise for both the moms and the kids.  So, off we went.  It was fun.  Colin rode his big wheel while Carson and Calleigh alternated running and walking.  We were so proud of ourselves for this industrious idea.  Then, we get to the movie only to find out The Water Horse has no more seats available.  Huge bummer.  My kids are way over Elmo, so that doesn't even sound remotely fun to them.  So, we ended up buying tickets to Kung Fu Panda instead.  Bottom line:  leave early to get a seat.

Week 2 Movie Shrek the Third - This time we DROVE to the movies and left in plenty of time.  All is well, we have a seat, and we get to see the free movie.  Yipee!  Only, I forgot about snacks and drinks.  Mind you this is a 10:00 AM movie, but it appears when one goes to the movies, one must have movie snackage.  The time of day does not matter.  As I look around me I see a theater full of prepared mommies with their water bottles, sippy cups, home-popped corn, store-bought candy, etc.  I look down upon my $25 purchase of popcorn, soda, and candy.  Apparently this is okay with the theater because these mommies are in no way trying to hide their smuggled in treats and drinks.  They are proudly displaying them in their bulging purses/diaper bags.  Good to know.  Bottom line:  bring your own drinks and snacks.

Next week I will not only leave in time, I will smuggle in my own drinks and snacks.  Maybe then it will be a "free" movie.  :-)

2 comments:

The Craftypigs said...

Bottom line: Nothing is ever really "free".

The McKays said...

hilarious post! glad you and C are doing fun things together.