Saturday, July 26, 2008

Exploring Again - The Getty Center

I took the kids to the Getty Center in the foothills of the Santa Monica Mountains in LA.  I had never heard of the Getty Center prior to moving to SoCal, but my curiosity was peaked when a wonderful lady at church told me about it.  Since admission to the museum is free and all you have to do is pay to park, I thought this would be a fun half day exploring adventure.

  • The Getty Center is a museum, but so much more than just a museum.  Spread across 750 acres are beautiful buildings housing famous artwork, photography, and sculptures.  There are fountains throughout, a beautiful garden, waterfalls, and a flowering maze.  In case you are thinking, "that doesn't sound like a kid-friendly place," then let me tell you what else they have.  There is a Family Room where parents and kids can spy art in treasure hunt walls, step into a painting, decorate an oversized medieval manuscript, build a giant sculpture, and relax in a bed like 18th century royalty.  This Family Room allows kids to explore various art displayed throughout the museum - only on their level and at their size and where they can touch/feel it.
  • The Getty Center also has these cool Art Detective Cards - baseball size cards with a picture of a piece of art (painting or sculpture) found throughout the museum.  The cards tell you where to find the actual pieces of art (so you go on a treasure hunt) and then gives you questions to ask about the pieces.  
  • There are some green grassy areas where kids roll down the hill and run around while parents sit under the shade of a tree and relax.  
  • You have to ride a totally cool monorail to get from the parking garage to the museum at the top of the foothill.  The kids LOVED that part.
  • It would be a great date night thing - live music, beautiful scenery, relaxed atmosphere. . .
The kids actually outlasted me at the Getty Center today.  There were two times when I asked if they were ready to go and they both said NO!  They wanted to see more!  Never thought I would hear that from my kids.  I have to say this exploring adventure was a hit.  And, I didn't get lost this time!  That makes it even better for me  :-)

1 comment:

The McKays said...

i'm so glad you guys were able to take advantage of this amazing place! when it first opened several years ago, you had to get tickets like 6 months in advance to get admission. i love, too, that your kiddos wanted more, more, more! :)