Tuesday, July 29, 2008

5.4

Well, it is official.  We have experienced our first earthquake.  And I have to tell you that I am so glad we went to the California Science Center last week for their earthquake simulator.  Before I describe what it was like for me and the kids, let me say that earthquakes can be exceedingly dangerous and devastating.  In no way am I minimizing the power of earthquakes.  I am merely sharing our first earthquake experience. 

It is a beautiful, sunny, blue sky day in SoCal.  I have the sliding glass doors and windows open to let the gently breeze fill the house.  As I stand in the kitchen preparing lunch for the kids, I thought to myself, "Wow!  The wind is really picking up."  Then I hear the house making that creaking sound that houses make in Texas when the wind is really blowing fierce.  Then I realize my feet are moving side to side.  It was like trying to stand on your mattress while someone is shaking it back and forth.  Not that I've ever tried that.  Then it dawns on me that this is an earthquake!  Within seconds it was over and the kids come running to me in the kitchen.  Carson proclaims, "That was AWESOME!"  Calleigh was not quite as excited as Carson.  She was a little scared, but was quickly reassured.  

One thing that I find interesting - A friend who has been a longtime California resident and through two major earthquakes called me shortly after the earthquake to find out what to do during an earthquake!  She said that since I was recently at the science museum and have taken the time to educate myself, she wanted to know what the experts are now saying to do during/after an earthquake (they no longer tell you to stand in the doorway).  From what I am hearing on the news, it has been so long since California has had an earthquake of any significant magnitude, most people have forgotten what to do and how to be prepared for an earthquake.  They news anchors are encouraging everyone to treat today's earthquake as a drill and to use this time to become prepared for a stronger earthquake.  So, I shared with my friend what I learned at the museum, and I told her that I will be happy to share the contents of my earthquake readiness box (you know me. . .of course I already have one of those stocked with flashlights, weather radio, extra clothes, food, water, etc).  

Thankfully, we are all safe.  Thankfully, we were well educated.  Thankfully, my kids reacted well to what could have been a very frightening experience.  But most of all, thankfully we have a God who is bigger than any earthquake.

8 comments:

Emily Thornton said...

As I was leaving the pool today, I got in the car and had the radio on. First thing I heard was "earthquake" and "LA". Then I thought of you guys. I am so glad to see that you survived and what providence that you went to the museum last week and were sorta prepared. I am happy that you are alright and THANKS for the speedy update to let us know that you are OKAY!

Memi and Grandaddy said...

Safe in Texas - we only have tornadoes, hurricanes and floods - I watched the news and they were interviewing a Dallas cowboy. He said he was so rattled by the earthquake he would need two days to recover. Unfortunately for him, the coach didn't agree.

Our Andi is always prepared. Wonder where you get that from.

And I love your writing. Wonder where you really get that from. Not me. It takes me thirty minutes to sign a card.

Stay safe.

Love you all,
Mom

Kim and JD said...

See, God knew that I couldnt handle an earthquake, so it happened this week instead of next week :-). Although I cant say I would be opposed to experiencing one just so I knew what it felt like. I am glad all is well and it does not surprise me to know that you have an "earthquake readiness box" Love you all... Kim

The McKays said...

glad you are all safe! i guess you are officially initiated into California living.

Brad and Tammy said...

Been there! Done that! So funny how you had just been to the Ssience museum and were educated about earthquakes. Thank God you guys were safe.

Anonymous said...

When I first heard the news on the internet at work, shortly after it happened, the first thing I thought was "well, she should have been well-prepared after having just visited the earthquake center."

Now you can say you're a veteran...and an expert.

But how did Michael do?

Love,
Ma and Pa

Andi and Michael said...

Michael did great. He was sitting in his office at work talking to a co-worker when it happened. He said everyone came by to "welcome" him to California after it happened. I think he thought it was awesome, just like Carson :-)

Moore Memories said...

I am so thankful everyone is ok! I checked your blog and while commenting, got pulled away by the 1 year old that has a lot of influence over me right now! Give everyone a hug for me! AND, that's all...you're not allowed another earthquake for as long as you're there!