Friday, May 16, 2008

Happy Tears

Last night Carson was playing his guitar while jamming out to Daughtry's song Home over and over and over again.  He was really getting into it - playing soft during the verses and putting some power behind the chorus.  He even had the head sway going and he closed his eyes during the moments of intensity.  It was great.  

When I tucked him into bed he showed me his thumb and said that it hurt.  I told him that what is hurting is the beginning of a callous.  Of course he wanted to know what that was, and after a little bit of explaining I told him that all great guitar players get callouses on their fingers and callouses are the mark of a true guitar player.  He looked at me with big tears in his eyes and said, "Mom, I have happy tears."  I asked him what the tears were for, and he said he was happy because he was a real guitar player now just like daddy.  Well, he has a long way to go before he can play like daddy, but the joy in his face was priceless.  So we said a bedtime prayer and thanked God for the gift of music and the joy of playing the guitar.  It was a great moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

most of us have a long way to go before we can play like daddy. -truitt

Kim and JD said...

What a sweetie...... His daddy is his hero, I love it!