Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Some things just aren't right.

I'm putting this out for a vote, mostly because Andi is at work and not looking over my shoulder as I type this (how would YOU like that?)

Lately, Andi has been cooking "creatively". Now, for those of you who know Andi this is nothing new. She has been leaving ingredients out or substituting ingredients for years. One time she substitued 2 sticks of butter for 1 in double delicious bars. First time I've seen cookies float. One time she substitued flank steak for cubed steak when making chicken-fried steak. It was........chewy. Sometimes she just leaves ingredients out all together.

Recently she aquired a book that is all about sneaking healthy foods into things you cook, so that your family unwillingly digests things that are good for them. Oh goody.

We've had chicken nuggets that used sweet potato puree in the batter. Fine. I ate that. We've also had macaroni and cheese that had squash puree in it. Okay......they're both yellow. I gave it a shot. We've even had a soup-of-sorts that was made with carrot puree. Now see, I don't think I'm being picky here when I say that carrots are best they are cleaned, finely chopped and then buried in a yard miles away from my house. Don't like 'em.

Yesterday, we had banana nut bread. I agreed to try it without knowing what the secret ingredient was. I took two bites. Not bad. No weird after-taste. No weird coloration. Tasted like banana nut bread. So I ask for the secret ingredient to be unveiled. "If I tell you what's in it will you still eat it?" says she. "Why wouldn't I? It tastes normal to me", says I.

"Cauliflower."

So I return my fork to my plate.

"You're not going to eat the rest of it!?"
"No."
"WHY?!"
"There's cauliflower in there."
"BUT YOU CAN'T EVEN TASTE IT!!!"
"But I know it's in there."
"You're serious?"
"Yep."

So, I ask our fine blog-reading community- Should there, or should there not be cauliflower in banana-nut bread? And ladies- to be fair- don't just weigh in yourself. Ask your husband as well.

For myself, I choose to remain firmly in the "no cauliflower ever of any kind in any food hidden or not" camp.

7 comments:

Kim and JD said...

OK, so is there SUPPOSED to be Cauliflower in Banana Nut Bread, well, NO. But, did you like it, yes, and did you eat it before you knew what was in it, yes. So, my vote is, if it is good for you and it doesnt taste a whole lot different, then why not?? Now, would I put it in MY Banana Nut bread, probably not. Anyway, that require me to actually cook, HAHAHA ! I mean it already has Bananas in it, they are healthy, right?
Also for the record, JD would agree with anything I say, so I dont need to ask him ... hehehe

Jennifer and Michael said...

Ok I am going to agree with Kim, if you can't taste it then it shouldn't really matter, should it? Taste is what really matters, right? BTW, I asked Michael and he agrees with me and Kim, but he would prefer not to know. Although he will NEVER allow me to cook pizza with tofu pepperoni EVER AGAIN!!!!! There are some recipes that you just don't mess with.

The Craftypigs said...

EVIL that's what it is. EVIL. I've survived my whole life on green beans and corn as my veggies of choice. Now I do like a good salsa which has all veggies in it, but that's different. How? I don't know, it just is. It's a paradox. People live longer now a days but eat crap. When they ate only what they grew, people died as early as 30 and that was considered a long life. So who knows. Pick you poison, that's what I say. Put Splenda in your tea or Nutrasweet in your diet coke, or just plain ole sugar in stuff, or cauliflower in your banana bread. Its all the same....bad stuff for you. I wouldn't touch banana nut bread with cauliflower in it if I knew it was in there either. Best advice to Andi, keep her evil ways to herself. Trickery is only trickery if you don't let the cat out of the bag. Also, some of her alterations are my favorite memories about her. We still call those things BUTTER bars.

Kim and JD said...

This is JD, actually weighing in and speaking for myself...
As a cauliflower-eating person, I can honestly sayt hat putting it in banana-nut bread is flat disgusting.

1. Healthy intentions or not, that is just gross. It's the mere thought of cauliflower puree (insert hurling sound here) being added into anything that is not intended to be healthy in the first place.

2. You can claim that bananas and nuts are healthy all you want, but I can assure you all that I would be chastized for eating an entire loaf of the stuff, even when infused with cauliflower.

3. Leave delicious things alone - they are intended to be delicious, not healthy.

Take the advice of Celeste and keep your secrets to yourself, Andi. You can now be trusted in the kitchen no more... go back to your "innocent" mistakes in the kitchen - they make me laugh.
And as for Jen - TOFU PEPPERONI?!?! REALLY? See #3 above...

The Craftypigs said...

This too is JD, actually weighing in and speaking for myself....
I'm not a cauliflower eating person - don't suspect I ever will be. I did however do some research and it's quite the veggie. Seems it's health benefits are off the charts. It's also a member of the "white" family where fruits and veggies are concerned - as is the banana - thus it may be a more natural banana nut bread partner than one would imagine. But lest you think I'm siding with Andi here - that wouldn't be right - so I'm not. I say leave well enough alone - bananas are enough health for one dessert. And though Butter Bars are one of my favorite Andi memories - my number one is still of Kim playing Andi playing Guitar Hero!

Kim and JD said...

Who knew one little subject would have so much talk!

Rachel Maples said...

While I would probably eat I say I don't want to know what the "secret" ingredient is....Matt was firmly in the no cauliflower ever in anything ever unless it was the last food on...wait, no not even that...corner. Andi that was pretty cruel I know your intentions are pure...I think but maybe you should stick to less offensive "secret" ingredients!